Known for their convenience:
Keurig is a household name among coffee lovers. With just a push of a button, you can have your favorite coffee drink right in front of you in a few minutes.
Like several other brands of coffee makers, Keurig machines are prone to clogging. This clogging typically results from accumulated mineral buildup and debris stuck in the system.
Without further ado:
Let’s show you how to unclog your Keurig.
Table of Contents
- Keurig machine
- A paper clip or safety pin
Step-by-Step Process to Unclog Your Keurig Machine
Step 1: Unplug the Machine
Your Keurig coffee maker is not worth your life. So, first and foremost, you must take safety precautions by unplugging the machine from the socket.
You’re dealing with an electrical gadget. It’s best to totally prevent anything that can cause an electric shock, burns, or even electrocution.
As part of your safety precautions, ensure the room or place you are in is properly lit. You may be using a safety pin, so you must have a good view of what you’re doing to avoid hurting yourself.
Step 2: Open the K-Cup Compartment
After unplugging your machine, allow it to cool off a little before opening the K-Cup compartment to access the puncture needle. The puncture needle is part of the pod holder.
You can remove the pod holder or leave it installed.
There’s a hole and rubber gasket near the puncture needle; straighten the paper and insert it inside the hole. Move the clip back and forth to unclog any mineral buildup or debris inside it.
Step 3: Power on the Machine
Close the K-Cup compartment, plug in the cord, and power on your machine. Your brewer should be working just fine afterward.
This unclogging method may not be applicable to all Keurig models. If this method doesn’t work for your brewer, try contacting Keurig Customer Service.
Unclogging With the Keurig Brewer Needle Cleaning Tool
If you own a Keurig 2.0 machine, there’s another alternative to unclogging the puncture needle. This is through the Keurig Brewer Needle Cleaning Tool.
This maintenance tool typically comes with all Keurig 2.0 machines. According to Keurig, it is the easiest way to unclog 2.0 models.
Follow these steps to clean the needles with this tool:
The cleaning tool has a plastic cup in the center; fill it with clean water. Place the tool on the pod holder. Make sure it fits comfortably.
Open and close the machine’s lid about five times. Do this gently, so you don’t damage your machine. The more you open and close the lid, the more the cleaning tool pokes the hole in the puncture needle and unclogs it.
After going back and forth with the lid for a few times, keep it open and remove the cleaning tool. The tool should have coffee grounds on it; this indicates that the puncture needles have been unclogged.
Keurig clearly states that the Brewer Needle Cleaning Tool is only available for Keurig 2.0 models. So, if your machine doesn’t fall into this category, don’t bother using it.
- The main causes of clogging in Keurig are mineral buildup and deposits from coffee grounds. Reducing your use of mineral water or substituting it completely with tap water can help reduce the risk of clogging.
- Lack of regular cleaning can also increase the chances of clogging. Clean your coffee maker regularly. Experts recommend cleaning every two to three months. This will prevent minerals and other deposits from building up.
- Clean all the removable parts of your machine every week using warm water and vinegar solution. This ensures that you only drink healthy and uncontaminated coffee.
A clogged coffee maker can slow you down and ultimately stop you from having your cup of joe.
Unclogging your Keurig is a simple task. Follow these simple steps:
- Unplug your machine and open the K-Cup compartment to access the puncture needle
- Insert a paper clip or safety pin inside the hole around the needle. Work the clip back and forth to unclog stuck materials
- Close the K-Cup compartment and turn on your machine
- If you own 2.0 brewer, it is best to unclog the machine with the Keurig Brewer Needle Cleaning Tool
- Regularly unclogging and maintaining your Keurig will help it perform more efficiently and extend its life
And so we’ve come to an end.
If you’d like to share some of your experiences with us, or ask us further questions, please use the comment box below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your Keurig may be clogged if it stops brewing full cups of coffee or brewing at all. Also, if the machine is operating slowly, mineral buildup is likely responsible.
There is another alternative for unclogging your Keurig machine. You can use Keurig descaling solution, which works similarly to white vinegar.