With your Keurig coffee maker at home or the office, making your favorite coffee has never been more convenient.
Things can quickly go left when the machine begins to malfunction. The brewer may not complete its brew cycle, leaving you with half a cup of hot coffee.
The good thing is you can reverse a lot of Keurig coffee maker problems by resetting the machine. In this guide, we’ll show Keurig owners exactly how to do that.
Table of Contents
Step-by-Step Process to Reset Your Keurig Machine
Here, we’ll show you two Keurig troubleshooting methods for resetting your Keurig—the basic and advanced reset.
This is by far the easiest and quickest way to reset your Keurig. All you have to do is unplug the power cord from the wall for a couple of minutes and plug it back in.
If this doesn’t solve your brewer’s problem, you should proceed to the advanced reset.
The advanced reset uses a more holistic approach and takes more effort and time. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Unplug the Machine and Remove the Water Reservoir
To reset the machine, start by unplugging the power cord from the wall and removing the water reservoir from the device. Then, wait for 10 minutes before plugging the cable back in and turning it on.
In this short period, the machine resets its internal computer to the factory setting.
Step 2: Fill up the Reservoir and Reinstall it
After turning on the machine, let it detect that the reservoir isn’t attached. The “add water” light should start flashing in a few seconds; when it does, fill the water tank with fresh water and reattach it.
This should quell the “add water” in no time.
Step 3: Open and Close the K-Cup Compartment
Lastly, after the “add water” light stops flashing, open and close the K-Cup compartment by lifting the brewer handle. The K-Cup compartment is where you find the K-Cup holder.
This completes the reset, and your machine can function as it should.
This method of advanced reset works for many Keurig models, including the 2.0 and 1.0 brewers, K-Cafe, K-Elite, K-Classic, K-Duo, K-Slim, K-Mini, K-Supreme, and more.
Models like the K-Supreme Plus and K-Supreme Plus Smart have different reset methods. If you own one of these models, here’s how you reset it:
- Press the left and right arrows simultaneously to open the menu. Then press the right arrow continuously until you reach the Factory Reset option.
- Press the K button to confirm the reset. After the reset, the LCD will display a message asking you to unplug the machine for 10 seconds and plug it back in.
Do this, and your Keurig coffee maker will fully return to its original settings and you should be able to brew coffee again.
- Watch out for error messages and some other malfunctioning displays. If you notice anything as such, it’s probably time to reset the machine.
- After using your Keurig coffee maker for a long time, some parts may become worn out, causing the machine to malfunction. Descaling your brewer regularly with Keurig’s descaling solution can help liven up the parts and reduce malfunctions.
- If the LCD continues to display error messages after resetting the machine, the LCD may be damaged. In that case, you must replace it. Also, it might be hard to find replacement LCDs, so contact Keurig Customer Service for help.
The ease and convenience you enjoy using your Keurig coffee machine can quickly turn into frustration when the machine malfunctions. A reset, however, can help return it to its normal state.
Luckily, resetting the machine is easy. Here’s how:
- Try the basic reset by unplugging the machine and plugging it back in after a couple of minutes
- If the basic reset fails, proceed to the advanced reset by first unplugging the machine and removing the tank
- Plug back the machine and reinstall the reservoir when the “add water” light blinks
- To complete the reset, open and close the K-Cup compartment
- Resetting your Keurig means the performance should return to normal
We’ve shown you how you can easily reset your Keurig in no time. Don’t forget to reach us via the comment section below if you have any questions or contributions.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are several things to indicate that your Keurig needs a reset, but the most obvious signs are malfunctions and error messages on the LCD.
Yes, but it depends on the model. For most models, you have to unplug the machine to reset; however, you can reset models like the K-Supreme Plus and K-Supreme Plus Smart without unplugging them.