It’s that time of the day when most coffee lovers crave a steaming frothy latte. But, you’d like to skip the tedious trip to the coffee shop as well as the outrageous prices.
I can show you how to make it easily at home. Grab your Nespresso coffee machine and follow this effortless 4-step latte recipe.
Table of Contents
|1 cup (12 Oz)
Ingredients and Equipment
|One double-shot espresso Nespresso capsule
Recommended: Nespresso Double Espresso Chairo Capsule
6 ounces of choice milk or dairy alternative
|Any Nespresso coffee machine
Recommended: Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine
A milk frother
Step-by-Step Preparation Procedure
Before we begin:
Source all the necessary materials and line them out on the kitchen counter for easy access.
Then, fill up your water reservoir and inspect your Nespresso Vertuo for malfunctions.
Great! Follow these steps…
Step 1: Froth the Milk
Pick up your milk frother (frothing wand), frothing pitcher, and about 6 ounces of milk. Then, heat your milk, making sure it doesn’t come to a boil.
The thing is:
You want to keep your milk at a comfortable 60℃ (140℉) to avoid losing the proteins that help it create milk froth.
You could use a microwave or a stovetop to do this, whichever is more convenient.
Pour the steamed milk into the frothing pitcher, place your frothing wand into the pitcher, and whisk in circles.
You’ll know you’re done when your milk has doubled in size and you can see fluffy foam on top of it.
If you have a Nespresso Aeroccino milk frother, your job is already ten times easier.
You can steam and froth the milk at the same time. Plus, it has options for frothing cold milk in the event that you’d prefer an iced latte.
In any case:
Once your milk is done frothing, transfer the frothed milk into your favorite mug or glass cup and set it aside.
Step 2: Power On Your Nespresso Machine
Power on your Nespresso machine. Do this by holding down the bar on the brewer’s front panel for about two seconds.
After doing this:
The bold button with a coffee icon on the top panel will start flashing a green light. Wait until the blinking stops and the green light is steady.
This indicates that your machine is powered up and ready to brew.
Step 3: Insert Your Nespresso Capsule into the Brewer
It’s time to begin the brewing process!
You’re going to need a double espresso pod for this. These double-shot Nespresso pods give your latte a more robust coffee flavor.
Once you’ve selected your coffee pod, open up your Nespresso machine and stick it in the capsule compartment.
Here’s how to do this:
Slightly push the front panel bar upward. You don’t have to lift it; the cover will open up automatically.
Place the double espresso capsule on the pod holder. Ensure the capsule dome is facing downwards.
Gently press the bar downwards to close the capsule compartment. Remember not to push it down manually, as it is an automated process.
One more thing:
If you’re having trouble opening your Nespresso coffee machine, this Coffee Holli troubleshooting guide has all the help you need.
Step 4: Start the Brew Cycle
All that’s left is to start brewing.
Press the button with the coffee icon on the top panel of your Nespresso machine to begin the brew.
You should have placed your mug filled with frothed milk on the drip tray.
At this point, hot water will interact with the inserted coffee pod, then dispense steaming espresso into your milk.
Watch this step!
You will notice that the double espresso settles in aesthetically between the milk layers.
The heavier milk will lay at the bottom of your mug, followed by the espresso shots topped with feathery milk foam.
According to the International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, this phenomenon is described as double-diffusive convection.
Essentially, the layers are formed due to differences in density caused by concentration and temperature.
All in all:
If you never knew your Nespresso machine makes a mean latte, now you do. And the process couldn’t be any easier.
Step Up Your Creamy Latte with CoffeeHolli’s Practical Tips & Tricks
- If you’re interested in more than a plain cup of latte, add a few pumps of your favorite syrup to give it a distinct flavor. Select from a range of different flavors, including caramel, vanilla, coconut milk, pumpkin spice, peppermint, and lavender. Remember to add it in before the milk.
- Syrups are great for sweetening your coffee as well. But you can always go for regular granulated sugar or honey.
- When preparing a latte or any other froth-dependent beverage, whole milk will produce the best microfoam. And for plant-based milk alternatives, oat milk would serve you the best.
- Garnish your Nespresso latte with a swirl of whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or a drizzle of your favorite syrup. Then, finish it off with a dash of cocoa powder, cinnamon, or nutmeg. It’s completely up to you!
- Enjoy your delicious latte with baked snacks such as croissants, pies, cakes, and brownies. Or you can pair it with your breakfast toast, eggs, and sausages. Trust me; you have more options than you can imagine.
- Based on nutrition, calories in this drink amount to about 190kcals. As such, CNN suggests you avoid calorie-laden toppings, sweeteners, and flavors to keep your latte healthy. Customizing these additions to fit your personal dietary needs would be best.